|Season 1 Episode 2A|
|Original Airdate||Sunday August 18, 1991|
|Previous Episode||"Tommy's First Birthday"|
|Next Episode||"Waiter, There's a Baby in My Soup"|
"Barbecue Story" is the second episode of the first season of Rugrats.
Tommy gets a new ball and Angelica chucks it over the fence, into the next yard. Tommy and Chuckie escape their play-pen and wander into the yard. While Chuckie searches a tree stump, he gets stuck. During Chuckie's speech, Tommy sees the ball and goes to get it until stopped by a huge dog (on a chain). He proceeds to grab the ball as the dog struggles to run after him. Spike hears Tommy scream and jumps the fence (in the process, he gets a tiki-like decoration caught on his head), scares the dog, and then rescues Tommy and Chuckie. As the episode ends, Tommy and Spike sit and watch fireworks.
- This is the first episode to take place outside during the night (though it only takes place outside at night during the last few seconds of the episode).
- This episode along with Waiter, There's a Baby in My Soup has the title card sequence shortened, that only lasts around 2/3 seconds. These are the only two episodes to have this happening.
- This is one of the few episodes to briefly show Angelica wearing a diaper.
- Tommy hides his signature screwdriver in the pouch of a stuffed kangaroo
- While Stu is filming the party, three unknown characters are seen talking. They are never seen again in the episode.The woman talking to Chaz was rumored to be Chuckies Mother.
- Chuckie will make a similar speech in Moose Country .