The Trial is an episode of Rugrats from season one.
|Season 1 Episode 11b|
|Original Airdate||May 3, 1992|
|Previous Episode||Touchdown Tommy|
|Next Episode||Fluffy vs. Spike|
Someone breaks Tommy's favorite lamp called Mr.Fluffles the clown. Thus, Tommy decides to set up a trial to determine who broke it.
While Tommy is being fed in the kitchen by Didi with Betty, there is a crash in the living room which turns out to be "Mr. Fluffles", a lamp with a clown face that was Tommy's favorite. Once in the playpen, Tommy laments the loss of his lamp, and demands to know who is the culprit, and why they did it. Chuckie, Phil, and Lil, go on trial because they were in the living room at the time. Angelica, who was napping, is not a suspect and is allowed to be the persecution while Tommy is the judge.
Phil and Lil go first. The twins say they played tag first, then decided to ring-around-the-rosie around the lamp. Angelica accuses them of knocking the lamp when they let go, which caused it to fall. Phil and Lil admit they did accidently knock it, but not hard enough to make it fall. Angelica says they're guilty, but Tommy believes their innocence.
Chuckie goes next. Chuckie wasn't playing with Phil and Lil, and didn't know if they knocked the lamp or not when they ran off. What he does know is a rabbit monster chased him, and he hid from it. Angelica insists this is a cover story, because Chuckie hates and fears clowns. Thus, Chuckie pushed the lamp and knocked it down on purpose. Chuckie admits he hated and feared the lamp, but not enough to do something like that, because Tommy's his friend.
Tommy declares Chuckie innocent as well, but still doesn't know the real culprit. Phil, Lil, and Chuckie become suspicious of Angelica's testimony, because she was supposed to be napping and know anything that went on in the living room. And she already had a nap before arriving at Tommy's house! Angelica then admits the truth. She was awake and in the hallway, looking for a crayon to draw on the wall with so she could get Tommy into trouble. She looked in the living room and saw the three babies playing, and Tommy's rabbit mask from Halloween. Angelica put on the mask to scare Chuckie with (sucessfully) while the twins were unaware. After the twins move away from the lamp, Angelica looks at it and concludes it to be an extremely awful lamp, so she knocked it over on purpose and fled.
Angelica gloats and taunts the babies because they can't talk and thus tell the adults. But Didi and Betty overhear Angelica saying this. Angelica tries to defend herself by saying that she didn't do, but Didi and Betty refuse to believe it and they take her into the kitchen until Drew and Charlotte get back. Her punishment: the (high) chair!
- Angelica: (coming out of nowhere with a blankie, sounding sleepy) Wh-what happened? I was taking my nap and I heard a loud sound.
- Didi: Oh, honey, one of the babies broke the lamp Uncle Stu made for Tommy.
- Angelica: Aww, Mr. Fluffleuffles?
- Didi: I'm afraid so, honey.
- This episode is one of the first episodes to only feature Spike as a cameo character.
- This is the first episode in which we learn of Chuckie Finster's coulrophobia (fear of clowns).
- This is one of the few episodes where Angelica is wearing a diaper.
- When Angelica refer to the stuff animals as "The Jerky", Phil and Lil said "the Jury", Yet Angelica told them that they are called "The Jerky". This could mean that Phil and Lil are saying it correctly.
- "The Trial" was going to be the name of an episode of another nickelodeon show called Invader Zim, however, the show was canceled before the episode could enter production.