|Season 2 Episode 1a|
|Original Airdate||September 6, 1992|
|Previous Episode||Stu-Maker's Elves|
|Next Episode||Sand Ho!|
Toy Palace is the first episode of Rugrats from season two.
Stu and Chaz have taken Tommy and Chuckie to visit the Toy Palace toy store for fun. Although Chaz is concerned about some of the toys (such as a radioactive alligator and an actual working time machine for kids) in addition to the fellow customers aggrivating his asthma, Stu is in his element as a toy inventor and has no problem with any of the toys. Likewise, Tommy and Chuckie love Toy Palace, but too much, because they decide to live in the toy store from now on! Putting toy replacements in their strollers while their dads aren't looking, Tommy and Chuckie manage to slip away as the store closes for the day.
Though the store has an elaborate camera system complete with dozens of cameras, the security guard doesn't pay attention at all as he eats doughnuts and watches TV. Deep inside Toy Palace, Tommy and Chuckie wander around and see things such as a minature setup of a Grizzlies baseball game and a cowboys 'n indians play set. When they accidently activate it, the little indians fire toy arrows with plastic suction cups that strike a nearby teddy bear. Tommy uses a doctor play kit to "save" the bear by covering it in bandages. Chuckie decides to take the bear with them as they go on.
Meanwhile, Chaz and Stu arrive back at their homes, only to finally realize their sons are missing and rush back to the toy store. Back at Toy Palace, the two friend decide to ride on the toy train. However, it turns out to be signifigantly more thrilling than expected as the train tracks are very much like that of a roller coaster.
After passing through the Dummi Bear section of the store, the teddy bear falls off the train, and Chuckie jumps off to save it. Tommy pulls on the breaks and manages to sucessfully stop the train, though the suddenly stop causes him to fly off. He lands softly in a display of small stuffed gorillas, unkowningly activating a much larger one at the same time. Tommy then sets off to try and find Chuckie.
Chuckie wanders around to try and find Tommy. Unfortunately, he walks into a dimly lit section that's filled with clown toys. Chuckie is frightened until Tommy shows up, but their relief is short lived as Thorg, the large mechanical gorilla, shows up shouting "Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!" causing the two to flee.
Stu and Chaz finally arrive back at Toy Palace and knock on the security door. The guard cautiously answers, and Stu and Chaz expain the situation to him. However, the guard doesn't believe them because the toy store is armed with a certain state-of-the-art security system and would have picked up on the babies. Stu becomes interested, having heard of the security system, but Chaz wants to find his son. Moments later, he spies both babies on one of the cameras and rushes into the store, followed by Stu and the guard (who is shocked that they penetrated the system).
Thorg appears to be actively chasing Tommy and Chuckie, so they decide that someone needs to fight Thorg: Reptar! They find a large mechanical Reptar not unlike Thorg and manage to activate it. Reptar begins to move, repeating the phrase "Halt! I am Reptar!" in a very heroic sounding male voice. Reptar and Thorg "fight" until the mechanical Reptar pushes Thorg into the time machine. The time machine activates, sending it back to the time of the American Revolutionary War, when George Washington and his army are crossing the Delaware river! Moments later, Stu and Chaz arrive and are reunited with their kids. The security guard is happy to seem them reunited.
- There are toys of "Daleks" (an alien race of robots of the SFI series Doctor Who) in the Toy Palace.
- This had been parodied by a SpongeBob SquarePants episode called "Toy-Store of doom, and was considered by fans to be a big letdown in conparison.
- This episode marks the first steps of Chuckie being scared of clowns. Though he was nervous in this episode, he actually became scared in Circus Angelicus.
- The store does not seem to have an alarm or scanner, as the toys Tommy and Chuckie place in their strollers don't trigger the security system. Of course, the plot wouldn't work if their dads knew they were gone even before they tried to leave the store. It's also possible that the entire security system is broken since Tommy and Chuckie never tripped the alarms themselves
- When Thorg is sent back in time, the depiction of the Delaware crossing is like that of the famous painting...which is historically inaccurate!
- The large mechanical Thorg is seen again in the episode Chuckie is Rich, this time purchased by Chaz as one of Chuckie's many new toys. Chaz also mentions the Toy Palace when contemplating buying Chuckie more toys before deciding he already purchased almost everything from the store for Chuckie.
- The large train from Toy Palace is mentioned in Pickles vs. Pickles, as Angelica's most desired birthday present for her third birthday. It's presumably one of the most popular toys sold at Toy Palace, because Drew was unable to purchase one. Although most of the events in Pickles vs. Pickles was a nightmare, it's likely that Angelica did want the train for her third birthday, and Drew wasn't able to get it for her and feels guilty about it.